Everyone can benefit from drinking a bit more water, so why not have fun with it? momme meals Picnic Lemonade is not only delicious and refreshing but helps boost your immune system while adding protein, fiber and the highly sought after Omega 3's & 6's to your diet.
As you know, water helps your body absorb nutrients, maintain fluid balance, rid itself of toxins, energize muscles and is great for your skin.
Here is a breakdown of how each ingredient helps supports your health:
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Builds your immune system, helps your body fight infections, is a detoxifier and is alkaline forming (helps your body maintain a healthy pH).
- Chia: Loaded with fiber, protein, calcium (hello breastfeeding support), manganese (helps your body use other essential B vitamins) and contains Omega 3s & 6s.
- Basil: Contains phytochemicals which studies have shown to help reduce tension/stress, contains Vitamin A and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Honey: Aids in digestion, is anti-fungal, antibacterial and contains flavonoids & antioxidants which help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease.
- Delicious. Delicious. Delicious.
Full of flavor but void of any processed sugars, momme meals Picnic Lemonade comes with ants and grass (chia & basil) included.
So drink up! And the next time a neighbor brings you a bag of lemons, do what I did - make yourself some Picnic Lemonade.
1 cup ice
1 cup purified water
1 lemon - juiced
1/2 lemon - grated peel
3 basil leaves finely chopped
1 tablespoon honey
Heat water and honey on the stove-top or in the microwave until warm. Mix the water with a spoon until the honey is completely dissolved.
Using a mason jar or other lidded container, add ice, chia, lemon, lemon rind and basil.
Pour in the honey water. Immediately place the lid on the container and shake for 30 seconds to prevent the chia seeds from clumping together. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes and shake again. By this time the chia will have begun to swell and your lemonade is ready to enjoy!
Whole chia seeds add a unique texture to drinks, similar to that found in tapioca pudding. The more chia seeds you add, the more viscous your drink will become. This recipe adds just enough chia so the lemonade does not thicken. Some find the texture a bit odd and others love it - kids especially. Add an amount that works best for you and gulp it down. The healthy benefits make it well worth it!